503-919-1315 mail@dawlaw.net

Construction Accident Lawyer FAQs

Construction Accident FAQs

Our construction accident attorneys have answered some common questions from their clients who have recently been in an accident on a construction site. If you have any further questions or want a free case evaluation, please give our Portland construction accident attorneys a call at 503-919-1315 for a free and confidential phone consultation! For more information about construction accident claims, visit our Construction Law page and our Workers’ Compensation page.


Frequently Asked Questions

I was injured working at a construction site. What should I do?

If you or a loved one were recently injured in a construction accident, it is important for you to talk to a construction accident attorney in Portland as soon as possible. Every case is different and will require a through investigation and a detailed review of the facts to identify who ought to be held liable for the accident.

What are Workers’ Compensation claims, and what do they cover?

Wconstruction-accident-lawyer-faqsorkers’ Compensation claims are a form of insurance that protects people who are injured while on the job. When you accept workers’ compensation benefits, you give up the right to sue your employer for the tort of negligence. Benefits from Workers’ Compensation claims can include:

  • Full medical costs
  • Partial compensation (2/3 of weekly wage while injured) for lost wages
  • Potential disability benefits
  • Death benefits
  • For more information, please visit our Workers’ Compensation page.

My Workers’ Compensation Claim was denied. What should I do next?

Receiving a denial letter for your workers’ compensation claim can be disheartening. However, rest assured that having your claim denied is not the end of the process. You have 60 days to file an appeal to the denial, and the majority of appeals are settled before a hearing occurs. If your workers’ compensation claim was recently denied, you should talk to a construction accident attorney as soon as you can because time may be running out.

What if I think my injuries were caused mostly by my employer’s negligence? Can I expect to recover any compensation other than workers’ compensation from my employer?

Under most normal circumstances, you are not allowed to sue your employer for negligence. Therefore, your compensation from your employer will most likely be limited to that of your Oregon Workers’ Compensation Claim. However, in many cases, if a third party such as another business or an employee of another business contributed to the conditions that led to your accident, you may be able to file a third-party lawsuit in addition to your Oregon Workers’ Compensation Claim.

What third parties can be held liable for my injuries?

If negligence on the part of a third party contributed to your injuries, you may pursue a lawsuit that aims to recover damages in addition to your Workers’ Compensation benefits. Common third party defendants in construction accidents are external suppliers and contractors, equipment manufacturers who product defective equipment, overly negligent supervisors, and electrical companies.

I was a subcontractor at a construction site and was recently injured in a construction accident. Can I bring suit against the property owner and the general contractor?

The property owner has a duty to maintain safe working conditions on-site. The general contractor has a legal duty to coordinate subcontractors and ensure that safety procedures are properly implemented. If you were working as a subcontractor on a construction site, both of these parties are potential third-party defendants for your construction site injury.

What types of accidents can occur on construction sites?

Construction is one of the more hazardous fields of work. Common construction accidents include:

  • Falls
  • Electrocution
  • Being struck by large objects
  • Accidents with tools and machinery

If you have recently lost a loved one due to a workplace injury, you may have a valid wrongful death claim. Please visit our Wrongful Death page for more information.

I would like to talk to a construction accident lawyer but I don’t have a lot of money for attorney fees. Who can I talk to?

If you or a loved one were recently injured in a construction accident, please give Dawson Law Group a call at 503-919-1315 for a free, no pressure consultation. We accept our personal injury cases on a contingent basis, meaning that until we get you the compensation that you need to recover from your injuries, you will not be on the hook for a single dollar in lawyer fees. (Learn more about the Contingent Fee system on our Contingent Fees Explained page.) Give us a call today and let Dawson Law Group fight for you!