How To Counter Offer a Personal Injury Settlement
Were you injured in a car accident and need a Portland personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim? If your answer was yes it’s time to call Dawson Law Group. At Dawson Law Group we are experts in personal injury law. Our firm is known for its success in car accident cases. Our standards of hard work and excellence have made us one of Portland’s most successful personal injury law firms. After years in practice we have found that many of our clients are confused by the process of countering the insurance adjustor’s initial offer.
Determine the Value of Your Car Accident Claim
- In order to determine the value of your claim you need to calculate both the special damages and the general damages. You will then add these numbers together and have the value of your claim
- The special damages are the economic losses that accrued due to the accident. All medical costs including doctor’s visits, medications and treatments are special damages.
- The damage to your car and any wages that you have lost also need to be included when finding the value of these damages.
- General damages are defined as the noneconomic losses you suffered from the accident. The pain and suffering, both emotional and physical, are considered general damages. The mental anguish, emotional distress, and physical pain that you endured need to be compensated for by the insurance company of the at-fault driver.
- It is crucial that you include your Portland personal injury attorney when determining how much your claim is worth. They will be able to ensure that all the damages are included in your cost. Without a trained lawyer on your side it is easy to overlook damages that you are owed.
Compare the Offer to Your Estimate
Once you have determined the value of your claim it’s time to compare your number to the offer from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If the offer is significantly lower than the number you have it’s best to counter the offer with a higher number that you are comfortable settling with.
With the help of your Portland personal injury attorney decide on the amount you are willing to settle for and then create a counter offer. In order to counter offer your Portland personal injury attorney will need to write a letter that states the amount you are willing to settle. It is best to include the value of your special damages and general damages and how you calculated these values. Include medical bills, and copies of all the expenses that accrued as a result of the accident. Once the letter has been drafted send it to your claims representative.
Car Accident Resources:
- Car Accident Claim Overview
- Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- What to Expect from your Car Accident Claim
- Negotiating with Car Insurance Companies
- Recently Won Car Accident Claim
- Calculating Pain and Suffering for an Auto Accident
- Auto Accidednt Property Damage FAQs
- Oregon DMV- Your Responsibilities in an Accident
- Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report (Oregon DMV Form 735-32)
- National Safety Council
At Dawson Law Group we can confidently and successfully handle your case. We have experience in all types of car accident cases and will provide you with a top Portland car accident lawyer to represent you. The at-fault driver’s insurance company will do all that they can to keep you from getting the full settlement amount you are due. We will gladly take on the insurance company and ensure that you settlement is fair. Call Dawson Law Group today and receive the compensation you deserve. Give us a call at 503-919-1315 for a free phone consultation where we can get to know you and answer your questions. Remember, we won’t charge you any attorney fees if you don’t win your claim, so it’s in our best interest as well as yours to secure the most favorable outcome for you in a timely manner.