Auto Accident Property Damage FAQs

If you were in a car accident it’s crucial that you hire a successful Portland personal injury attorney immediately. They will guide you through the claims process and ensure that you aren’t taken advantage of by the insurance company. At Dawson Law Group we are experts in personal injury law, especially auto accident claims. Our firm is known not only for its success in these types of cases but for our dedication to each of our clients. Many of our clients are confused about the property damage and repairs involved in their claims process. Below we have answered some of the most commonly asked questions concerning property damage in car accident claims.

What do I do after the accident has occurred?

The first step you need to take is to call the at-fault driver’s insurance company and notify them of the car accident. You will need to arrange to have the damage to your car evaluated. If the other driver has not notified the insurance company already they may wait to admit liability until they have reviewed the accident facts. Other than arranging for them to assess the damage to your vehicle do not make any agreements with the insurance company until you have consulted with a Portland personal injury lawyer. The insurance company may attempt to have you settle prematurely for less than what you are owed.

What do I have the right to recover in property damages?

When it comes to property damages in a car accident case you have the right to have your car repaired if it is not determined to be a total loss. If your car has been labeled as a complete loss by the insurance adjustor then you are entitled to receive the full amount that your car was worth right before the accident took place. It is important to note that this is not the amount the car was worth when you bought it. The amount you are due is what the value of the car was when the accident occurred.

Can the insurance company use after-market parts when repairing my vehicle?

As long as the parts are of the same quality as the parts the manufacturer would provide then yes they can.

Should I have more than one estimate on the repairs to my vehicle?

While you can, it is not necessary. The insurance adjuster will determine and estimate the cost of repairs. You may then have your vehicle repaired at the auto shop of your choice. Should they find that the estimate was too low or that the adjustor missed repairs that needed to be made when performing the inspection, the shop will inform the insurance company. They can then work out further payment for repairs.

Will the at-fault party’s insurance company provide me with a rental car?

The at-fault party’s insurance company is not required to provide you with a rental car. They have to reimburse you for the damage to your vehicle but do not have to provide you with transportation in the meantime. If you need a rental car it will have to come out of your own pocket.
At Dawson Law Group we are well versed in auto accident claims and the laws surrounding them. We would be more than happy to answer any and all questions you have concerning your claim. The Portland personal injury attorney you hire from our firm will guide you through the claims process and work tirelessly to see that you are fairly treated. Refuse to settle for substandard legal representation and call Dawson Law Group today.