Were you or your loved one injured in a boating accident? A personal injury attorney can help give you the advice needed to get the reimbursement you deserve for your losses and/or medical bills. According to the US Coast Guard, a boating accident is an incident where one of the following things happen:
- A person on a boat disappears and death/injury is suspected
- A person on a boat dies/becomes injured beyond the help of first aid
- A vessel causes or sustains damage
Powerboats, sailboats, or personal watercrafts can be involved in boating accidents in Portland, Oregon. A boat accident attorney in Portland can navigate the legal waters of a personal injury claim associated with a boat accident.
What does a boat accident attorney in Portland do?
A boating accident lawyer helps you to file, pursue and litigate your particular personal injury claim. Retaining a professional lawyer takes a lot of the stress away from this situation. You can focus on recovery and your lawyer will handle everything for you. They will launch a full-on investigation into your accident to determine the cause of the accident and to create the best claim possible.
What kind of compensation can I expect?
Your personal injury claim can include compensation for things such as:
- Medical expenses (Past or future medical bills, transportation to medical treatment, rehab, medical equipment).
- Lost wages/earning capacity (Recover money that you would have made or for those that are permanently unable to work, living wages in terms of future lost wages).
- Pain and suffering
Ultimately, it all boils down to negligence. For a claim to be successful, your boat accident attorney must prove that the duty of care was breached, an injury was sustained, another party owed you duty of care and their breach was the direct cause of your injury.
Everyone operating a boat must follow a series of boating laws in Oregon. Some common breaches of duty include:
- Untrained or inexperienced operators of the boat
- Boating with non-existing or insufficient lighting
- Boating in hazardous or inclement weather
- Overloading or overcrowding the boat
- Operating a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Defective equipment/machinery
- Failure to pay attention to surroundings
- Failing to carry proper safety equipment aboard
A written accident report to the Oregon State Marine board must be made as a result of the accident. This report will be used later by your boat accident attorney in your personal injury claim. To learn more about a boat accident personal injury case, call to speak to one of our experienced attorneys in Portland at 503-919-1315 today.